- Click here for STS Services Brochure 2023
- The STS Fixed Route Bus System operates Monday to Friday from 6:00 AM to 5:00 PM. No bus service is provided on Saturdays or Sundays.
- All Senior Citizens over the age of 65 ride free all day with proper identification compliments of the Pennsylvania State lottery.
- Senior Citizens 65 years of age and over must register for free transportation services funded by the Pennsylvania Lottery. For more information, call the Office of Senior Services at (570) 622-3103 or contact STS.
- Children under the age of nine ride free. Ages nine to twelve ride for $0.55 (must be accompanied by an adult).
- Wheelchair Accessibility provided on the fixed route bus system to all physically-challenged individuals. For details, call the STS office.
- No service provided on the following holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, and Christmas Day.
- Bus Stop shelters are provided at key locations for the safety and convenience of our riders. STS encourages the use of these shelters.
- Transfers for passengers continuing their ride on a connecting route are available for free when boarding the first bus. The transfer allows a passenger to ride free on the connecting route. Transfers are for use only in a continuous direction from point of origin to point of destination and will be honored only for the next available bus on the day of request. Transfers cannot be used for a return trip on the same route.
- All vehicles are equipped with bike racks for for the use of passengers. Drivers may instruct on proper usage but CANNOT touch your bike. Please see any schedule for our bike rack policies.
- Frequent Rider discounted bus fares available
- Rider Discount Program for students enrolled at Penn State Schuylkill Campus
Not Able To Ride Fixed Route Service?
- Check out our Senior Citizen Shared Ride Van Service
- Check out our Persons with Disabilities Shared Ride Van Service
Reloadable Smart Cards
The 30 Day Reloadable Smart Card is a great cost savings to many passengers who utilize the fixed route bus system on a regular basis.
A 30 Day Smart Card entitles the bearer to ride any fixed route bus all day (Monday thru Friday). Transfers are optional with a 30 Day Smart Card. Thecard is valid from the first day of travel thru the 30th day of travel and is available for fifty dollars ($50).
Smart Cards are reloadable and convenient to use when riding the fixed route bus system. A minimum requirement of $5.00 is required when initially obtaining your Reloadable Smart Card. Once your card is established, any dollar amount can be applied at any time.
Both options are available at Union Station in Pottsville and can be purchased via debit, or credit card (Visa or MasterCard) for your convenience. Access Cards can also be used to purchase Smart Cards if you have the Cash Portion available on your account.
Passengers can also establish their Initial Smart Card by mailing the attached application (click here) or calling our Customer Service Department at 800-832-3322 or 570-429-2701.
Drivers can only apply CASH (no debit, credit, or access cards) onto an Established Smart Card.
Schuylkill Transportation System Passenger Policy
- NO eating, drinking, smoking or vaping is permitted on the buses.
- AISLE MUST REMAIN CLEAR AT ALL TIMES FOR THE SAFETY OF ALL PASSENGERS. You are only permitted to take on the bus anything you can fit in your seat – for example, three standard size shopping bags. Strollers must be limited to umbrella type and all carts/walkers must be small in size and collapsible. Walkers MUST have small wheels. All items allowed on bus will be determined at the drivers discretion and must be controlled by the passenger at all times.
- Fares must be paid when boarding the bus not departing the bus.
- Senior Citizens MUST SHOW their PA Senior Citizens I.D. card when boarding the bus.
- Please have all passes/tickets/transfers and correct fare ready when boarding the bus or you will be asked to step aside.
- You can not ride on the bus more than one trip around without paying another fare. NO loitering or soliciting on the buses is permitted.
- Please refrain from talking to a bus operator while the bus is in motion.
- Shoes and shirts must be worn at all times.
- Please refrain from loud conversation and talking to the bus driver while the bus is in motion. Only low tone conversations are allowed as to not disturb other passengers or the driver. Radios and cell phones may be used with headphones and only at a low volume.
- Boisterous conduct is strictly prohibited. Disturbances or harassment of other passengers or the driver is strictly prohibited. Fighting, throwing things, pushing, shouting behavior and vulgar language are all forbidden. Transportation can ultimately be denied or service can be suspended to all passengers who act inappropriately.
- NO roller-skates or roller-blades may be worn on the buses.
- Any vandalism or graffiti to seats and other portions of the bus is subject to a fine and/or prosecution.
- Firearms, weapons, fireworks, chemicals or hazardous materials of any type are not allowed on the buses.
- Anyone who intentionally assaults a transit operator or destroys transit property will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.
- Keep service animals under control. This means that your animal must be properly leashed and/or harnessed and under control of their handlers at all times. You are responsible for any damages or soiling by your animal. An animal may be prohibited from boarding an STS vehicle if it causes a particular threat to the driver or other passengers. Service animals are not permitted on vehicle seats. (Updated 10/1/18)
- Children MUST be accompanied and controlled by parent or fare paying guardian, while riding on STS vehicles. Parent or fare paying guardian is responsible for the child’s/children’s conduct and safety. Includes, but is not limited to keeping the child/children seated and, when equipped, secured with a seat belt. The child/children MUST NOT be allowed to be up and walking in the aisles or permitted to stand on the seats. A maximum of three (3) children are permitted when accompanied by an adult. (Updated 10/1/18)
- You can NEVER change seats once the bus is in motion.
- NO sleeping is allowed on the buses. Remain seated until the bus is at a complete stop and doors are opened.
- Pull the cord or push strip button for your bus stop.
- Remember to take your belongings with you, STS is not responsible for articles left on the bus.